Just some time ago Luca Todesco – a renowned hacker – had announced on Twitter that the first jailbreak for iOS 10 – iOS 10.1.1 was out. And as we know, a jailbreak in its early stages is associated with certain risks and bugs as is with the case of any software in its beta version. However, many jailbreak fans have still downloaded the IPA file and are facing numerous issues.
Here’s a complete list of compatible iOS versions and devices: iOS 10.0.1, iOS 10.1.1, iOS 10.1, iOS 10.0.3, or iOS 10.0.2, and is compatible with iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPad Pro.
Caution: The jailbreak will neither work with a different iOS version nor any other device apart from the ones listed above.
Firstly, ensure your Mac has an installed Xcode and that you are a registered Apple Developer. Next, ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed and running.
Backing up your existing data is an important step. Use iCloud or iTunes to back-up your data. Once done, you will have to disable apps like Passcode, Find My Phone and TouchID. Don’t worry though, you can reactivate them once the jailbreak is complete.
Lastly, download the Yalu Jailbreak IPA file into your PC. Also don’t forget to install the Cydia Impactor app. Visit this page to access the download links and select the right operating system.
You are now ready for iOS jailbreaking. Let’s deep dive.
- Connect a USB cable from your computer to your device.
- Drag the IPA file and drop it over the Cydia Impactor app.
- Cydia Impactor will ask you to enter your Apple ID and password.
- After entering your signing details, Cydia Impactor will start to sign the Yalu IPA. Once done, the “mach_portal” icon will appear on your Home screen.
- Don’t launch the app yet. Go to Settings > General > Profiles (or labelled “Device Management” or “Profiles and Device Management”). Find the profile with your email ID and open it. Tap on the “Trust” button.
- Now, go back to Home screen and launch the “mach_portal” app by tapping on the Yalu/Mach_Portal icon.
- In the next 15-20 seconds, a white screen will appear indicating that the jailbreak is in progress. Do not do anything to stop it.
- Once the jailbreak process is complete, your device will restart automatically and the Yalu jailbreak icon and Cydia app will appear on your device’s home screen.
Your device is now jailbroken. But, remember this is a semi-untethered jailbreak, meaning that every time you restart your device you will have to relaunch the Yalu/mach_portal app. Bear in mind that the although Cydia is fully functional, it is not stable and you may not be able to install many changes. Also, if you find that your device is having some issues post the jailbreak, then restore it to iOS 10.2.